Also known as Avant Garde, Artist-led Video, Underground
These are terms that describe a range of filmmaking styles that are generally quite different from, and often opposed to, the practices of mainstream commercial and documentary filmmaking.
- often characterized by the absence of linear narrative
- experimentation with the production process
- typical features – such as a non-narrative, impressionistic or poetic approaches
- the use of various abstracting techniques
- the use of sound not directly correlating to the image or even the absence of any sound track
- the goal is often to place the viewer in a more active and more thoughtful relationship to the film.
- editing that subverts the narrative
- alternative screening venues
Probably the most famous director of experimental feature films is David Lynch but here are some short films by artists that will appeal to young people. They explore simple concepts of age, love & first impressions.
Age by Lenka Clayton
Conversation by Lenka Clayton
Moonwalk by Greg Pope
Over the years, some of the young First Light filmmakers have ventured into experimental film. You can watch the films below on the Movies page of the website: